Different than most imaging tests, Nuclear Medicine studies are important in showing the function of specific organs, tissues or bones inside of the body to help diagnose and treat a variety of health problems. Nuclear Medicine studies can be performed on both adults and children.
Using special radiopharmaceutical tracers, these studies are often used to identify abnormalities very early in the progression of a disease – long before some medical problems become apparent. Safe and painless, Nuclear Medicine is a valuable tool to help gather information that may otherwise be unavailable. Southwoods Imaging is your resource to aid in the early detection and treatment of complex health problems.
- Thyroid cancer
- Bone pain from some types of cancer
- Renal, gallbladder, digestive and liver function
- Evaluation of heart muscle function and measurement of blood output
- Evaluation of artificial joint replacements for the diagnoses of loosening, pressure related stress fractures and infections around the joint
- Infection and cancer localization
- Demonstrate structural changes in bone resulting from trauma, cancers, athletic related injuries and other bone related diseases – as well as pain when conventional x-rays appear normal
- Low radiation exposure
- May be harmful if pregnant or breastfeeding