BOARDMAN, Ohio (WKBN) – Southwoods Center for Breast Health is making getting a mammogram easier not just on your body, but also your mind.
When you get a mammogram at Southwoods Imaging, whether it’s your first one or routine, they take the fear out of the process so you know what to expect. Sheryl Gumino, Director of Radiology Services at Southwoods Imaging says the process of arriving, getting changed, having the mammogram and walking out the door is usually about 20 to 25 minutes. The actual screening mammogram only takes about five minutes and the process itself is relatively painless.
To read the complete article, visit https://www.wkbn.com/marketplace/local-hospital-takes-the-fear-out-of-mammograms/.
Boardman, Ohio (September 20, 2022) — For over 25 years, Southwoods Health has focused on delivering important healthcare services to the tri-county area through its growing network of facilities and providers. We are proud to announce that many of those services will now be conveniently available in your home, and delivered with the same Southwoods quality and care you have come to know and trust.
Southwoods Health at Home is skilled care delivered directly to you. Services include physical, occupational and speech therapy, skilled nursing and social work services.
“We all know the best place to recover from an illness, injury or procedure is in the comfort of your own home,” explained Ed Muransky, Southwoods Chief Executive Officer. “Our goal is to provide patients with expert care done the Southwoods Way – offering compassionate support, encouragement and genuine peace of mind for you and your family.”
Additional benefits of home health care include:
- Improving or maintaining a patient’s current condition and/or level of function
- Helping manage medications
- Assessing current living environments for safety
- Recognizing signs and symptoms, which can reduce avoidable hospital re-admissions and expensive hospital bills
- Understanding how to appropriately manage chronic conditions
- Regaining independence (over time)
- Assistance following discharge instructions and/or physician orders
“Home health services are so very important to the overall continuum of care for patients,” said Muransky. “We are providing care that lets patients safely remain at home – helping them recover faster, with fewer complications.”
To learn more, visit www.SouthwoodsHealthAtHome.com.
Boardman, Ohio (April 1, 2022) — Southwoods Health is pleased to announce The Surgical Hospital at Southwoods has been named a “Best Hospital for Patient Experience” as reported by Becker’s Hospital Review. Southwoods is one of only 10 hospitals in Ohio named to this list, and the only hospital in the tri-county area with a five-star rating from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
The ratings are based on figures using Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) scores from 10 topic-specific measures. The CMS summary star rating combines this information about different aspects of patient experience of care to make it easier to compare hospitals. The ratings come from the CMS Care Compare website and represents their most recent scores.
“It is an honor to once again be named a top hospital for patient experience,” said Ed Muransky, Chief Executive Officer at Southwoods. “These types of awards are a direct reflection of the hard work and dedication of our physicians and staff. Their commitment to providing the best care possible to our patients is unmatched.”
Visit Medicare.gov/care-compare to compare area hospital ratings, or for more information on the “Best Hospitals for Patient Experience” list, visit BeckersHospitalReview.com.
Since 1964, the United States has recognized American Heart Month in February as a time to bring awareness to heart disease. According to the American Heart Association, heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the U.S.
Many people are either unaware they have suffered a heart attack or just ignore the signs as they’re experiencing one. So how do you know if what you’re experiencing is a heart attack and when should you reach out for help?
Some heart attacks are sudden and intense. But most start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort. Pay attention to your body and call 911 if you experience any of the following warning signs:
- Chest discomfort. One of the most obvious symptoms is discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts a few minutes – or goes away and returns. It’s usually described as uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. In addition to your chest, discomfort in other areas of the upper body including one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach are common.
- Shortness of breath. This can happen with or without chest pain.
- Other signs. Other possible signs include lightheadedness, nausea, or breaking out in a cold sweat for no apparent reason.
Health conditions, your lifestyle, and your age and family history can increase your risk for heart disease. While some of these cannot be controlled, such as age or family history, you can take steps to lower your risk by changing the factors you can control. Ways to reduce your risk and help improve your heart health include:
- Annual visits to your Primary Care Physician
- Regular physical activity (at least 150 minutes a week)
- Control your blood pressure
- Eat a healthy diet
- Keep your cholesterol in check
- Limit alcohol
- Sleep 7 hours or more every night
- Quit smoking and avoid being around second-hand smoke
- Manage stress
It’s also recommended you maintain a healthy weight and eat foods low in saturated and trans fats while avoiding foods high in sodium and added sugars. If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, it’s very important to take your prescribed medication while monitoring your blood sugar levels.
February is a great reminder of the importance of heart health, ways to prevent heart disease and increase awareness of its effects. Southwoods Cardiology is committed to providing high quality, comprehensive care. Southwoods’ cardiologists work with your primary care physician to ensure that care is coordinated. If you are in need of cardiovascular care and are interested in an evaluation, contact your primary care physician for a referral.
If you don’t have a Primary Care Physician or it’s been a while since your last regular check-up, Southwoods Health has a network of Primary Care Physicians with offices conveniently located around the Mahoning Valley. Visit Southwoods Primary Care to schedule an appointment today.
Heart Disease Stats & Facts
Infographic (source: American Heart Association)
Boardman, Ohio (January 20, 2022) — Committed to pairing the best patient experience with the most advanced medical technology available today, Southwoods Health is proud to announce the arrival of the Vantage Galan 3T MRI at Southwoods Imaging.
MRI uses a magnetic field without radiation to produce high-resolution 3D images of the organs and structures inside the body. The amount of information provided by the exam is directly related to the strength of the magnetic field. 3T MRI is the strongest magnet used in medicine today and produces the most detailed and accurate images with the highest degree of resolution. Southwoods Imaging is the only facility in the area with multiple 3T units in one location.
“For physicians, the capabilities of the Vantage Galan 3T ensures the highest quality images with enhanced anatomical detail – helping lead to more accurate diagnoses. For our patients, this technology improves comfort by delivering faster, quieter exams,” explained Ed Muransky, Southwoods Chief Executive Officer. “Southwoods Imaging was the first to offer 3T MRI in Mahoning County in 2014, and remains the only provider in the county offering this level of technology. This investment underscores Southwoods’ continuing commitment to providing quality clinical services and an exceptional patient experience.”
Patient benefits include:
- Reduced scan times. Scans are reduced by as much as 50% on most patients, and shorter scan times equal more patient comfort.
- Less noise. Acoustic noise is reduced up to 99% with Pianissimo® quiet technology – making exams quieter, more comfortable and easier to complete.
- Larger opening. The system boasts the industry’s widest opening (71cm), delivering a more open feeling and enabling patients of all sizes to feel comfortable.
- Contrast free scans. Non-contrast MRA sequences minimize risk to patients with sensitivity to contrast while still producing exceptional images.
- Metal reduction software. The presence of metal-related artifacts (in patients who have metallic orthopaedic implants, for example) can obscure relevant injuries and disease. This new system significantly reduces that issue.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) applications along with deep learning reconstruction. These applications automate scan planning, offer increased resolution and produce exceptionally detailed images, helping streamline workflow.
“In researching new systems, we knew we had to stay with the 3T,” said Muransky. “Over the years, we’ve seen such a difference in image quality and so have our doctors. We are always focused on providing the best service, technology and experience to our patients.”
To learn more about MRI and the other imaging services offered at Southwoods Health, visit www.SouthwoodsImaging.com. Southwoods Imaging is located at 7623 Market Street in Boardman, and offers convenient evening and weekend hours.
Boardman, Ohio (November 17, 2021) — Southwoods Health is pleased to announce The Surgical Hospital at Southwoods has once again earned the Guardian of Excellence Award® and Pinnacle of Excellence Award® from Press Ganey. These awards represent an important acknowledgement from the industry’s leader in healthcare consumer and workforce engagement.
The Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award® is presented annually and recognizes hospitals and health systems that sustain high performance in the top percentile for patient satisfaction. Very few health systems achieve this threshold and consistently maintain it for the one-year reporting period. Southwoods is one of nineteen hospitals in Ohio to receive this award, and has received it every year since its inception in 2013.
Additionally, Press Ganey honored Southwoods with the Pinnacle of Excellence Award® for maintaining high levels of excellence for at least three consecutive years in patient experience. This award is highly competitive and specifically recognizes top-performing healthcare organizations nationwide. Southwoods is one of only two hospitals in Ohio to receive this award, and has received it every year since its inception in 2016.
“These awards reflect our staff’s dedication to a positive patient experience,” said Ed Muransky, Southwoods Chief Executive Officer. “Even through last year’s unimaginable challenges, their commitment to improving the safety, quality and experience of patient care at Southwoods never wavered.”
Southwoods is one of just 40 hospitals nationwide to receive both awards. The full list of recipients can be found at the Press Ganey website www.pressganey.com.