Healthy Recipes for Your Fourth of July BBQ
The summer season is in full swing and Fourth of July celebrations are upon us! We all know the importance of a healthy diet in keeping our bodies in shape, but we also know how delicious food can be…especially at a barbecue. As you celebrate Independence Day this year, focus on healthy recipes using fresh ingredients bursting with flavor. Keep reading for a list of delicious recipes that are perfect for your Fourth of July BBQ!
- 1 ¾ cups vanilla yogurt, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1 ¼ cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 ¼ cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed, divided
- 12 freezer pop molds or 12 paper cups (3 oz each) and wooden pop sticks
- Place 2 tablespoons yogurt, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 cup strawberries in a blender; cover and process until blended. Remove to a small bowl. Chop remaining strawberries; stir into strawberry mixture.
- In a blender, process 2 tablespoons yogurt, remaining honey and 1 cup blueberries until blended; remove to another bowl. Stir in remaining blueberries.
- In each mold, layer 1 tablespoon strawberry mixture, 2 tablespoons yogurt and 1 tablespoon blueberry mixture. Top with holders. (If using paper cups, top with foil and insert sticks through the foil.) Freeze until firm.
Watermelon, Cucumber & Feta Salad
- ½ cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 6 ounces feta cheese, cut into ¾ inch cubes
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Whisk vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl; gradually whisk in oil until completely incorporated.
- Combine watermelon, cucumber, feta and onion in a large bowl. Gently stir in 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Just before serving, gently stir in mint; drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette.
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 ½ pounds mini potatoes
- ¾ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus additional to taste and for cooking the potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 green onions divided
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 2 tablespoons capers rinsed and drained
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch. Salt the water generously. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until potatoes are just tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 20 minutes depending upon their size. DO NOT overcook, or your potato salad may be mushy.
- Prepare the dressing: in a food processor or blender, add Greek yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, celery salt and black pepper. Cut 2 of the green onions into 4 pieces each and add them to the food processor as well.
- Finely chop the third green onion and set aside. Blend the dressing until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the food processor a few times as needed.
- Drain the potatoes. As soon as you can handle them safely, cut potatoes into 1 ½ inch chunks (depending on the size of your potatoes, this will be either halves or quarters). Transfer to a large bowl.
- While the potatoes are still hot, pour ¾ of the dressing over them.
- Gently stir to combine (it will look like a lot of dressing). Let sit for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice as it rests.
- Add the celery, capers and eggs. Reserve a tablespoon or so of the remaining chopped green onion for garnish, then add the rest to the bowl. Stir to combine. Taste and add more salt/pepper as needed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- In a large bowl, toss blueberries with lemon juice and cornstarch until evenly coated. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray, and pour the mixture into it.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together oil, vanilla and eggs. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix, just until combined.
- Dollop dough over berries, covering as evenly as possible. Bake at 350° F until dough is golden brown and cooked through, 40-50 minutes.
- I recommend serving this healthy blueberry cobbler warm. Add a little ice cream for an extra treat!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder or pork butt
- 1 ½ cup sugar-free BBQ sauce
- Mix chili powder and salt together in a small bowl.
- Cut pork into roughly 1 lb pieces. Rub each piece with chili salt mixture.
- Pour half of the BBQ sauce in an Instant Pot. Arrange pork pieces in a single layer. Pour remaining sauce over pork.
- Cook on manual or pressure cook at high pressure for 90 minutes. Let pressure naturally release.
- Remove pork and shred the meat with two forks. Add pan juices to moisten the shredded pork to your liking.
Orzo Pasta Salad
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ orange bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook orzo until al dente, according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until combined (or shake together in a jar). Set aside.
- Drain and rinse the orzo with cold water, about 1 minute, or until cooled. Place in a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese and basil. Toss to combine.
- Drizzle with the dressing and toss again to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy!